ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE or No Data Received is a one of technical errors that a user may face while browsing some websites like YouTube, Facebook or any other website. This error occurs when a website does not respond or does not send the desired data to the user’s request.
Best example of this error can be seen while using WordPress and their content management system. Most of the times it is due to corruption on the website or the webserver. The user must cross check if the website is showing this error only on their computer and opens well in other person’s computer.
4 Ways to Fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE or No Data Received Error in Chrome
If a user is facing the ‘ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE or No Data Received’ then there are some steps that can be taken to fix this problem. They are mentioned number wise and also explained as they are needed.
1. Clear The Browsing Data Of Your Browser
The simplest thing that a user can do is that they clear the recent browsing data as they create cache and lead to the error.
To clear the browsing data, follow the steps below :
- Open a web browser e.g. Google Chrome.
- Press Control+H to open the browsing history.
- Click on ‘Clear browsing data/History.
- In some browsers such as Chrome, it may ask whether you want to delete only a portion of your browsing history or the whole search history.
This works for almost every browser such as Google Chrome, Opera, Opera Mini, Mozilla Firefox, UC browser and many others.
If not, then navigate manually to the menu of that particular web browser and then search for the search history. Then follow the same steps mentioned above to delete the search history.
2. Reset Your Network Settings
Sometimes the error occurs due to winsock corruption and the user needs to reset the winsock or network setting. To reset winsock, follow the steps below :
- Press Windows+R to open ‘Run’.
- Type CMD to open command prompt.
- Type netsh winsock reset.
- Press Enter.
If this does not work then follow these steps :
- Press Windows button.
- Search ‘CMD’.
- Right click on cmd and press on ‘Run as Administrator.
- Type netsh winsock reset.
- Press Enter.
It is possible that CMD may not be found using the above methods due to different operating systems such as Windows-7, 8 or 10, or Linux but most of the times the Windows+R method works on every windows operating system.
If the issue is not solved after this method then follow these steps :
- Press Windows+X.
- Check if the Wi-Fi connectivity is on.
- If the wireless connectivity is turned off then turn it on.
3. Use A VPN
VPN stands for ‘Virtual Private Network’. Sometimes the error occurs because the webserver or the website is blocked in some regions.
To avoid this problem, VPN is a option because using a VPN helps to acces the blocked website in that region because a VPN changes the user’s location for the website that he is looking to acces. To set up a VPN, follow the steps below :
- Download your VPN app : There are various VPN applications that can be downloaded and are free to use while some of them are paid that give additional benefits.
- Set up your VPN app : Install the application properly and give it the permissions if it asks. Some applications need to be signed up to use them. Keep the directory in your dafault disk drive.
- Choose a VPN server and click on connect : After succesfully launching the VPN application, it asks for the server, there are some fast servers that are available only in paid applications and then some free servers that may be slow or can not open all the websites.
- In that case, try changing the VPN server and refresh the website on the web browser. Now you can surf almost every blocked website.
Though ‘VPN’ is not a guaranteed method to solve the problem but in most cases it works well for ‘No data received Error’ or ‘ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE’.
4. Check Your Network Connection
- Check your LAN connection : If you have a Local Area Network connection then check if the wire is plugged in then contact the service provider.
- If you are connected to a local Wi-Fi network then check the device if it has connectivity problem.
- In windows 7, the network connection status can be seen in the system tray located on the right corner in task bar. Click on network icon and see wether you are connected to a network or not.
- Try to check if the network provider is not responding.
The “No data received” or the “ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE” is a common error and can be avoided if the user follows the mentioned methods, if you are still unable to acces the desired website then it may be the fault of the webserver that can be fixed only by the owner of that website.
All you can do is to check if the website is not working only for you and for this purpose there is an option that the the user can simply search on the Google with the website name.
For e.g – if Facebook is showing the “No data received” or the “ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE” then search for it on Google with ‘Is Facebook down’. It will show if the website is not working only for you.